Although the Tribhuvan Highway was crucial, it followed an extremely difficult hill alignment that was not easy for loaded vehicles. In 1964AD with the help of US govenment, a new ropeway system was completed which ferried material from Hetauda to Teku (National Trading).The ropeway helped cut travel time, was cheaper to run and above all, was not affected by weather.
The Hetauda-Teku ropeway was not the first ropeway by all means. It was built to replace the old ropeway built by chandra Shumshere which ferried goods from Dhorsing near Bhimphedi to Matatirtha in the Valley. Tri Chandra Nepal Tara Ropeway was opened in 1927 with a capacity of eight tons per hour. Indian freight was transported from Raxaul to Amlekhgunj by train-that 48km railway was another one Chandra Sumshere's ideas. Cargo was taken to Dhorsing by lorry and then the ropeway hauled it to Matatirtha.